Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Thin Blue Line Beanie Crochet Pattern

Today is a exciting yet sad day for me! My sweet hubby has been working at Hobby Lobby Corp. for 5 years! Today is his last day! I'm sure going to miss my discount!  Aside from that this is a wonderful change for my hubby and our family! 

My hubby has been working very hard at Hobby Lobby in transportation, part time as a reserve policy officer and going to academy this past year. He graduated a few months back but He will officially start as a full time officer Jan 2016. I'm very proud of him.  He's wanted to be an officer for as long as we've been together and I'm so glad to see his dream finally come true! 

These changes bring on more changes in the next few month but I'll share those as they come about! I see a move by next summer and some adjustment as schedules change and such! I don't mine change but the next few months are going to be a bit of a roller coaster. 

My hubby asked me to make some hats for some of his officer buddies for Christmas. 
So I thought I'd write up a simple pattern for a Thin Blue Line Beanie. 


It works up quick and is an average Man/Women Size Beanie. 
I may add sizes as I have time but for now it's just the one. 

I hope you will make these in support of our Police Officers or for an Officer you know! 
They sure need to know we stand by them! 


Thin Blue Line Beanie

Be sure to add to your Raverly Favorites and 
Pin the post for later! Thanks!


Hobby Lobby I Love This Yarn Worsted Weight  
1 Skein of Black and small amount of Royal Blue
H-hook (5.00mm)

Hat Gauge 4” x 4” swatch = 8 rows of 14 dc

Terms and Stitches
ch - chain
sc - single crochet
hdc - half double crochet
dc - double crochet
fphdc - front post half double crochet
bphdc- back post half double crochet
sl - slip
st - stitch
rep- repeat

Fits 21-23 inches  - Measures 8 1/2 long but 10 inch wide

NOTES:
*join each round with a sl st to the 1st st of the round
*ch 1 does not count as a st in the st count
*number in (#) is the stitch count for the round


Starting with Black
Round 1: ch 2, 10 sc in 2nd ch from the hook, join, ch 2 (10)
Round 2: 2 dc in each st around, join, ch 2 (20)
Round 3: *(2 dc in next st, dc in next st,) rep from * around, join ch 2 (30)
Round 4: *(2 dc in next st, dc in next 2 sts) rep from * around, join, ch 2 (40)
Round 5: *(2 dc in next st, dc in next 3 sts) rep from * around, join, ch 2 (50)
Round 6: *(2 dc in next st, dc in next 4 sts) rep from * around, join, ch 2 (60)
Round 7: *(2 dc in next st, dc in next 9 sts) rep from * around join, ch 2 (66)
Round 8: dc in each st around, join, ch 2 (66)
Round 9-15: rep Round 8

Switch to Royal Blue, Do not fasten off Black
Round 16: hdc in each st around, join ch 1 (66)
Round 17: hdc in each st around, join, ch 2 (66)
Switch back to Black, Fasten off Royal Blue
Round 18: dc in each st around, join , ch 1 (66)
Round 19: *(FPHDC in next st, BPHDC in next st) rep from * around, ch 1 (66)
Round 20: rep Round 19, join, fasten off and weave in ends. 

My Hubby showing off his hat! 




31 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this pattern. Very easy to follow. I've tried a couple other patterns and wound up frogging them. On r1 I did 10 sc in the magic circle and it looks great.

Anonymous said...

My son and daughter in law are both officers. Time to make up some Beanies for them!

Julie "Dakota" said...

Love this pattern! My darlin' hubby asked for me to make him a beanie as well, and yours was the one I picked. I love it so much! Thank you for offering it for free.

(I did have to increase the size, since my hubby's head apparently is HUGE compared to the pattern. :D But, with your lovely pattern, it wasn't hard to do.)
http://kotacrochetcreations.deviantart.com/art/Thin-Blue-Line-586977854

Anonymous said...

I am making a dozen, or more, of these to donate to our local PD in Pueblo, Colorado as a much deserved 'thank you'. Thank you for your free pattern...and please, give your husband our many thanks for his service!

Elisabeth Spivey said...

That's so great! I know they'll love it! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Do you have a video tutorial of this pattern by any chance? I'm having issues with starting the blue and fastening off before going back to the black again. I'm not sure how to do this effectively without making the stitches look uneven. Thank you.

Cher said...

Would you be able to maybe pick up a couple of shifts at HL?

Elisabeth Spivey said...

I wish I could but with hubbys ever changing schedule and running a business i just don't see how. If I really needed the discount my father in law and brother in law work there too and I occasionally do contract work for them.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern. I love it and have already made one for my dad who is a retired NYPD. If my hands allow me too I would love to make a bunch and donate to the police department in my town to show appreciation. Thank your husband for his service to protect and serve us all. Again thank you so much for sharing.

Elisabeth Spivey said...

I'm so glad you love it! I hope you can make many more. Thank you!!

Unknown said...

I made one in navy blue with orange stripe for Broncos fan. He loved it.
The pattern was very easy. Thank you very much for this pattern

Elisabeth Spivey said...

Awesome! Go Broncos! Glad you enjoyed it!!

Hannah said...

I'm making one for an officer, but his head is 24 inches around. Think it will stretch? I'm not sure how to make it bigger. Do I increase one more row?

Elisabeth Spivey said...

I would just increase another round or two and measure for adjustments as needed.

Anonymous said...

thank you for the pattern I have two sons that are police officers and its a long cold winter ahead

Mary_Ray15 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary_Ray15 said...

I would like to make a bunch of these to donate to the Correctional Officer's at the prison I work at. I'm curious, how many hats can you get out of one skein of yarn? And how many yards are in that skein?

Unknown said...

can you tell me how i would do this for a newborn in a #3 weight yarn?

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this pattern! My middle son is in training to be an officer. I made this for him and he loves it! Very easy to follow and doesn't take long to make :)

Unknown said...

Can someone explain to me 2 dc in next st, dc in next. . . I have attempted to do this hat 4 times and it ends up so much bigger than it should. What am I doing wrong?

Jan said...

How do you print this pattern?? Thank You

Ann said...

Thank you so much for this pattern. My daughter's boyfriend just graduated the academy this past week and my daughter asked me to make him this type of hat for Christmas. I'm truly grateful for this pattern

Rita said...

Thank you very much for sharing the pattern. Great easy hat to make..The hat is for a man with a very large head.. I found when I followed the pattern to the letter, the hat was way too long..covering the eyes. I started the blue at line 14 instead of line 16.. works well

Irene said...

eserve police officer. Just thought you should know. Hope this helps.

Unknown said...

im gonna try this

Ruby's Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ruby's Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ruby's Mom said...

Is round 1 supposed to be single crochet or double crochet?

Vidya meru said...

Simple and easy cap

Tia said...

Does the chain 2 count as a stitch

JRhere said...

Thank you,thank you, thank you! This is the 1st top down beanie pattern I've successfully made! You know how to increase!

Post a Comment

Do tell! Your comments are always exciting and encouraging.